High modulus sealant & adhesive
- High elasticity - complies with ISO11600-F-25HM (movement capability 25%)
- Excellent primerless adhesion to a wide range of surfaces
- No shrinkage
- Resistant to UV and sunlight - no surface cracking or crazing
- Good gunnablity even at low temperatures
- Can be painted after curing
- Free of hazardous isocyanates
MAKROFLEX FT101 is an all purpose elastic sealant / adhesive based on Henkel proprietary unique Flextec(R) -Technology, which cures by reaction with moisture at room temperature. The product is suitable for many types of materials: concrete, brick, marble, tile, ceramics, fibre-concrete, galvanized steel, stainless steel, iron, painted metals, lacquered aluminium, anodized aluminium, wood, melamine, etc. In cases of PVC and difficult surfaces like e.g. powder coated materials adhesion tests are recommended. In cases of unknown materials or critical applications adhesions tests are recommended. The cured sealant is resistant to water, seawater, diluted alkalis, diluted acids, cement grout and water diluted detergents. The product is not recommended for applications with permanent contact with chemicals. Poor resistance to aromatic solvents, organic acids, concentrated alkalis and concentrated acids, chlorinated hydro-carbons.
- Installing of windowsills, baseboards, steps, tiles, etc.
- Maintenance work: metal bonding, ventilation & air-conditioning ductwork, etc.
- Joints in building construction, joints between window frames and brickwork, ground joints
- Joints in prefabricated construction units
- Joints on external balconies and terraces
- Joints in metallic and wooden construction
Packaging: 280 ml cartridges
12 months in unopened containers, stored under dry conditions between 5ºC to 30ºC.
How to use
If applicable, remove the old sealant cutting it out with a cutter. Then wipe out the remaining marks by using White spirit as helping solvent. The joint surfaces must be free of dust and grease. The surfaces may be wet, but in this case it is recommended to pre-test the tack. Application temperature is between +5°C and +30°C, but room temperature is the best. When packing extensive areas it is recommended to apply the sealant in the form of stripes or spots to accelerate solvent evaporation.
- Place the cartridge into the silicone applicator.
- The tip of the nozzle should be cut offaslant (at about 45 degrees) according to the joint width.
- Apply the adhesive on the one of the joint surface by zigzag or small frequent points and wait for 5 minutes.
- Pull the trigger to apply sealant into the joint. Ensure sealant is applied evenly and has good contact with both sides of the joint.
- Masking tape must be used where sharp exact joint lines or exceptionally neat lines are required. Remove the tape before the sealant cures. The seal will be perfectly straight and smooth.
Application - sealing
The joint width must be designed to suit the movement capability of the sealant. In general the joint width must be > 10 mm and < 35 mm. A width to depth ratio of ~1:0.5 must be maintained.
After joint and substrate preparation, insert backing rod (closed cell, PE-foam backing rods) to required depth and apply primer if necessary. Insert cartridge into sealant gun and firmly extrude FT101 into joint making sure that it is in full contact with the side of the joint. Fill the joint, avoiding air entrapment. FT101 must be tooled firmly against joint sides to ensure good adhesion.
Application - bonding
After substrate preparation apply FT101 in strips or spots on the bonding surface at intervals of a few centimeters. Use hand pressure to set the element to be bonded into position. If necessary, use adhesive tape, wedges, or props to hold the assembled elements together for the initial hours of curing. An incorrectly positioned element can be easily unfastened and repositioned in the first few minutes after application. Apply pressure again.
Optimum bonding will be obtained after complete curing of FT101, i.e. after 24 to 48 hours at +23°C for a thickness between 2 to 3 mm.
Clean tools and application equipment with white spirit immediately after use. Cured material can only be removed mechanically.
- Elastic sealants may only be overpainted if the coating is able to follow the movements of the sealant (in general if joint movements are <5%, depending on the coating) – otherwise cracks in the surface of the coating can occur. In case of high movement joints coatings may cover the joint sides to max. 1 mm. It is recommended to test the compatibility of a coating product before use.
- Do not use FT101 as a glazing sealant, on bituminous substrates or on building materials which might bleed oils, plasticisers or solvents which could attack the sealant.
- Colour deviations may occur e.g. due to exposure to chemicals or high temperatures. However a change in colour does usually not affect adversely the technical performance or the durability.
- Not suitable for joints with water pressure or permanent water immersion, e.g. in swimming pools. Do not use FT101 to seal bathtubs or washbasins.
- No adhesion to PE, PP, PTFE (Teflon®).