Fixing and insulating interior door
Installation of the interior door precisely guarantees the resilience toward consistent forces affecting the installation. The fine tolerances are needed to achieve this kind of performance and carpentry or masonry skills are a must.
Most of all, before starting with installation of the door, check door manufacturer's instructions. There is a wide variety of different models available and installation can be rather different, depending on the door model and searched insulation properties.
Before starting installation check the suitability of the door dimensions to the opening. Best is to leave approximately 2 cm between the frame and while measuring the opening, check if the corners of the door opening are at 90°, walls plumb and floor straight. If they are not right-angled and plumb, the walls and floor (basis) should be remodeled. Remember to check both sides of the door! Fix any problems in this phase.
Necessary materials and instruments: shims, optional spacers, masking tape, gloves and goggles, 1K polyurethane foam, optional fixing screws, optional 2K foam, knife, plumb, screwdriver, hammer, optional foam applicator.
- The opening prepared for door installation should be clean of loose particles and dust. Sensitive surfaces or floors should be protected from PU stains by masking with adhesive tapes or canvas cover.
- Place the frame inside the opening and center that in the final position. The space between the door frame and the wall must be between 1 to 3 cm. For wider joints the fixing has to be adapted accordingly and PU foam sealing built up gradually by layers.
- The door frame should be aligned in vertical and horizontal position using a level. Re-check and ensure the door is plumb and straight. Using shims the alignment can be adjusted and door preliminarily fixed into opening. The space between the walls and door frame must not decrease during the installation process, keeping it at approximately 2 cm width.
Fixing with 2K and spacers
- In case of usage of 2K polyuerthane foam without additional mechanical fixing consult the manufacturer's instructions, depending on door weight and frame thickness, use either three dedicated doorframe spacers with integrated clamps for fixation or three pieces of timber to prevent deformation of the frame. The timber should fit into the frame and can be fixed and adjusted with wedges. Put suitable wedges in the joint between wall and door frame to adjust the frame in the correct position.
- The spacers must be positioned at the height of both hinges and the lock. Measure the width inside the doorframe at the top, middle and bottom. The distance should be the same everywhere. Check both top corners, they should be right-angled.
- In case of the door with sturdy frame (check manufacturer's instructions!) the spacers may be skipped as the frame can bear the curing pressure of the expanding foam. Plumb and straight fixing a door into the opening with the help of shims and mechanical fixing with the help of special screws is must for such working technique.
- Before applying PU foam the door should be leveled and checked whether it opens properly. It has to be aligned with the walls of the room, as to be able to install door trims.
- After the alignment is finished the door frame must be fixed to the wall to avoid movement either with the doorframe spacer or the above mentioned shims which are placed into the joint, according to the installation technique selected and following manufacturers instructions.
- The door frame and the bottom should be protected with paper or masking tape in order to prevent soiling by possibly falling down froth pieces.
- The 2K foam should be sprayed to the joint between wall and doorframe in the positions of the spacer on both sides, usually toal in 6 spots. 2K foam hardens fully during 30 minutes while creating high pressure ensuring fixation of the door frame. Do not use too much foam, see the individual technical data about its expansion.
- Before mechanical fixation, consult the manufacturer's instructions. Put suitable wedges in the joint between wall and door frame to adjust the frame in the correct position.
- Measure the width inside the door frame at the top, middle and bottom. The distance should be the same everywhere. Check both top corners, they should be right-angled.
- After the door frame is installed in the right position, one last check should be made. Install the door wing and close it to check if the space between the door and the jamb is even from top to the bottom. If the gap is uneven the whole process of alignment should be redone until the alignment is right.
- After the alignment is finished the door frame must be fixed to the wall with the above mentioned shims and following manufacturers instructions.
- Please fix the frame with the special srews according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Insulating and sealing
- After either mechanical fixation or fixation with the help of 2K foam is fully carried out, the void beween door frame and walls will be filled with 1K PU foam. DO NOT remove spacers in this phase resp. add spacers as described in 2K usage section!
- Foam sparingly the 1K foam into the void. Check the respective product description for joint filling level as for some products necessary expanding space has to be leaved.
- At dry conditions the foam needs additional moisture, especially in winter time and with rooms with central heating. Moisturize the surface of foam slightly with water by an atomizer. Do not use too much water! Moistening of the surfaces the foam is applied futher improves the adhesion.
- The spacers must not be removed before the foam is fully cured, wait at least 3 h, depending the ambient conditions. Within the rooms with very dry air the 24 h waiting time may be needed.
The overexpanded foam can be cut by using a cutter earliest after 1 hour, depending on the application conditions and humidity levels. The cutting surface of the foam must be protected from UV radiation and covered with plaster, mortar or similar.
Makroflex 2K - quick fixation
Makroflex STD - installation of doors with the help of spacers
Makroflex PRO - insulation of the joint of mechanically fixed doors
Makroflex Premium PRO - insulation of the joint of mechanically fixed doors